Saturday, May 20, 2006

The Da Vince Code - Movie Review

So the four of us, colleague E, colleague K and K's good friend Y, and I go see the midnight show. Three came from work, me from bed ;) - which means I was hungry and a lil cranky. But mood soon changed to excited, when i smelled the butter coming from popcorn making machine on the left!

Anyways, with provisions in hand, denim jacket (not for dealing with cold but for dealing with mouth that tends to laugh and comment loudly when least expected - used by stuffing denim jacket in gaping mouth) slung over bag and three fair faced friends around... we soon established E-enery necessary for proper movie watching.

Days events were traded (not much from my part of course) as we inched closer to movie theater entrance. There was a big crowd but half the jokers were there to watch crappy M:i3. They were let in first then the sensible fellas (like us) were left to grow restless for few more minutes. K was too hungry to wait and dug into bag of nuggets and E and me had our fingers covered in caramel!! Yum yum ( Somebody, ok, one of the two people who read my blog, said that food will always be mentioned, and I couldn't righly let her down). Only Y had the willpower to keep her fingers out of the goodies!

Anyways, in we go (ticket collector even had the audacity to say "enjoy the movie", like we were here to not enjoy the movie!), and trample along like happy campers to cinema numero dos! I thought I did a fine job of guiding the lot to our designated seats. (I also should take credit here for getting the gang all excited days before by sending cryptive text messages!).

Then came a half-hour of ads of course. One of it was one of those football ones, where Cantona like talks farny and then the Brazilian team comes on to show some skill? Well, the girls were like cooing and I was kinda going along, but then realised I HATE BRAZIL! I'm a total ENGLAND GAL! But i tell you, it was damn damn had to keep my self still when Ronaldinho took his jersey off! Damn! But luckily, Roberto Carlos was also there (hope Chelsea don't get him), and I am allowed to cheer for him, cause he is the only player in the Brazil team that I like! Phew, that was a mouthful!

Then of course there was like a few farny ads - stupid ones and then one movie preview! Just one! Something something 4! I think it is supposed to be scary, but funny too and it was like what the hell are they doing like ok ok - whatever, i just didn't get it. Problem is I think E wants to watch it and I think I'm gonna get dragged!

And so there we are sitting around, popcorn has almost gone, and along comes guy with friends and ticket. (of course this has to happen! It's Cinema-good-seat-law). So he comes and asks "Um, excuse me what number are you"? I mean like, why can't you just say your number! Your the one that's lost! "So anyway, Y leans across and says, "give me the tickets". So while I'm digging in my bag with my popcorn stained fingers, i tell mr lost that we are 11-14! and he says, oh i'm 10. So you think he'd stop bothering us. nope. next question out of his mouth is "which cinema number are you?" (mind you ads are blasting on screen while we continue this "polite" conversation. So i tell him (nicely), that he wants the seats that come after ours, would he please go there. But of course the seats begining with 10, next to E, are taken. So anyway, Mr lost and his troop go over to the other dark side (he he.... SW pun... get it get it?) and the gang seating on those seats go through the whole dumb routine again. And lo and behold, what do you think happens?

Mr lost's tickets are for the day before. They quitely go to the exit and stare ahead. Immediately, E and me try and figure this out it is the da vinci code after all. How could someone get tickets for the wrong day?? And we got it! He asked for midnight and was given noon! That had to be it! Because midnight is the next day right? right??? he he.. smart innit!!!

Ok so then the movie starts, popcorn all gone and i get mad! They changed the bloody start! I mean come on, i know its an adaptation and all, but please la, why in the world would you want to change the start! Langdon just had to be sleepy la! No fun if he was wide awake!

Ok what I liked: The symbology smartley incorporated in the lecture, the internet search on the bus, the fact that they stuck to the book when gaining access into teabing's castle ( i love the fact that they had to prove their worth), i loved the lourve, i love roslin chapel and the funny bits in betweeen. that's it.

Oh and i laughed when i wasn't supposed to and could get jacket into mouth fast enough!

i dun think the movie was fantastic nor grandioase like some reviewers said they were. I was hoping for more shots of the paintings, but i guess i'll just have to go to the lourve to have a look. I didn't like the fact that there was only one cryptex! nor the fact that they found the documents under roslin.

But that's just me. A succor for sticking to wat was. I guess I should credit those who worked to make it different. The last scene was nice. Promising.

Oh and I must mention this - people left the cinema and different points. Well they should have watched M:i3 then.

Okay, I'm sorry, but i must say this: Despite all the controversy and claims made by The Da Vinci Code, i really hope it kicks M:i3 off the top of the box office. Afterall I firmly believe that the use of innocents (Katie Holmes) to give one waning superstar (Tom Cruise), some publicity is sicker than anything Dan Brown and Ron Howard have done. (No I don't still have a fever). Told you I was complicated that way!

Bye babes. Off to the Leaky Cauldron I go.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Something something 4 - Scary Movie 4 la...

Saturday, May 20, 2006 9:12:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home