Thursday, May 25, 2006

The letter C

I went to Putrajaya this morning. For those of you who are going aah?, it's the administrative capital of the country. It's where the T's are crossed and I's are dotted.

I had never been to Putrajaya before. I had heard about it, seen the pictures and watched shots of it in the news. I was shocked when I got there. It felt like a whole other world. It seemed like a Toyland. It seemed surreal. I had my mouth literally wide open driving down "mainstreet". There is one building called the "Palace of Justice"! I'll let you figure that one out!

There were rows upon rows of cars outside the Immigration Department, the only building in the whole area where mortals seemed to dare go.

The streets were cobbled. The street lights weird and the traffic lights short and stubby. I was almost sure I would see someone put their tongue out and lick a street lamp. I was so sure I was in some sugar castle up in the sky.

Then of course I got lost. Despsite directions from friends and a website map printout of the area, I had no freaking idea where anything was (that is if the building were real at all!). So I stopped and asked some real looking people, and was promptly directed to the correct building, where I had to fill a form to see someone (somethings just don't change!) By the way, I forgot to get the form signed and return it to the guard (who must have forgotten as well, cause she gave me back my IC). So I hope i'm not too much marshmellow trouble!

ok so i dont know how to spell marshmellow! so wat?

anyways, back to putrajaya, with the all the ooing and aahing, despite the signboards not working (or my inability to descipher them), I was a bit upset at one thing.

The word "Presint". The word "Presint" is everywhere. And it just upset me! This lack of Cs.

I don't have a problem with Malay versions of English words. No I'm all for evolving words and letters and alphabets and what not. But this lack of Cs just seemed so so wrong.

The two Cs would have made a world of difference. It would have given the presint more oommph, more authority, more power - the very thing that is needed in an adminstrative capital. And it was sorely missing! Everywhere you looked, there was a C void.

Precinct. Succint.
Presint. Bleh.

Nite nite.

Fingers crossed the lolipop police don't summon me for a couple of "missed" redlights. (Hey! there were no cars in sight and i was lost!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home