Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Bookie book book

I went online and searched for books that were making people upset, the books that were "challenged". I found a list that claimed to be the top hundred, compiled by the Office for Intellectual Freedom, American Library.

It's an odd list really.
I decided to find out how many on that list I had read.
I found 5.
And read half/way 2.
So out of 100 books that people got upset about - I'd read, say, 6!
Six out of hundred.

Then I went to the New York Times Best-sellers - the paperback fiction list.
Out of 35, I read 3.
Ok odds are improving.
What other lists are out there?

Why all this drama? Just trying to figure out whether I'm reading my own little world or reading what the rest are interested in....

What have you read lately?

3 Comments:

Blogger The Little Devil said...

Hey gypsy,
I looked up your reference about the challenged books. Amazing, never knew it existed. But then trust the Americans to "challenge" books they don't like, and claim them unsuitable. Judy Blume's books? Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer? Carrie and Kujo, Pillars of the Earth? They're great books. Though I agree that the Sleeping Beauty series is quite erotic. Very erotic.
Quite serendipitous, as I was just wondering a similar thing.. what were the books ppl have read that I haven't, esp the ones they would recommend strongly. Now I think I'll start with books I haven't read on the challenged list.

Thursday, August 24, 2006 10:02:00 pm  
Blogger The Little Devil said...

Hey, Gypsy girl.
I looked up the challenged list reference. Amazing, I didn't know it existed. Trust the Americans to "challenge" books they don't like and call them "unsuitable". But Judy Blume books? Harry Potter? Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer, Carrie and Kujo, Pillars of the Earth, Mockingbird? They're all brilliant books. But I can agree that the Sleeping Beauty series by Ann Rice is pretty erotic. VERY erotic.
Serendipitous though, cuz I was wondering a similar thing. What were books ppl had read and what they would strongly recommend.
Now I think I'll start with books I haven't read on the challenged list.

Thursday, August 24, 2006 10:18:00 pm  
Blogger sweetd said...

It's the first time i know there are challenged books!

im trying to read scarlett letter!

Saturday, August 26, 2006 1:36:00 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home